Free Software Foundation Tamil Nadu (FSFTN), part of Free Software Movement of India (FSMI), is a social movement which has pledged to enlighten common man with the essence of Free Software and join hands together against the proprietary software which restricts freedom of knowledge to the common man.
FSFTN was founded in 2008. It is a nonprofit organization with a mission to promote computer user freedom and to defend the rights of all free software users.
Our main objectives are to
- take forward free software and its ideological implications to all corners of our country from the developed domains to the underprivileged.
- create awareness among computer users in the use of free software.
- work towards usage of free software in all streams of sciences and research.
- take forward implementation and usage of free software in school education, academics and higher education.
- work towards e-literacy and bridging digital divide based on free software and mobilising the underprivileged.
- work among developers on solutions catering to societal & national requirements.
- work towards a policy change favouring free software in all walks of life.
FSFTN was instrumental in the campaign against Tamil Nadu government's decision to include proprietary software in the free laptops which were to be distributed to students of Tamil Nadu. FSFTN also runs a Community Computing Center in Mylapore where the unprivileged students can walk in and learn what they need from the skillful volunteers.
Support Our Mission!
The most important support you can give to free software is to use free software on your own computer and advocate within your business or community for others to adopt it. Join our mailing-list to hear about ways you can get involved and to post your queries and suggestions.
Free Software Foundation Tamil Nadu is a part of Free Software Movement of India. The organisation is in no way associated with Free Software Foundation or Free Software Foundation of India except sharing common perspectives on the need to spread the use and ideology behind free software.