Free Software Foundation Tamil Nadu (FSFTN), part of Free Software Movement of India (FSMI), is a social movement which has pledged to enlighten common man with the essence of Free Software, Free Hardware, Free Culture, Knowledge Commons and join hands together against the Privatization and Centralized Control of Knowledge flow.
FSFTN was founded in the year 2008. It is a nonprofit organization with a mission to promote computer user's freedom, bring access of Knowledge to common man, utilize Digital commons and to defend the rights of all Free Software users.
Our main objectives are,
- To foster a spirit of mutual cooperation and goodwill among members, thereby, promoting communal harmony and national integration.
- To take forward Free Software and its ideological implications to all corners of our country from the developed domains to the underprivileged.
- To bring all like-minded persons who are interested in educational development and social welfare activities into contact with one another with a view to establish relations of friendship and goodwill towards one another so that an exchange of thoughts and views is possible.
- To create awareness among computer users in the use of Free Software.
- To work towards usage of Free Software in all streams of Sciences and Research.
- To work towards e-literacy and bridging digital divide based on Free Software and mobilizing the underprivileged.
- To work among developers on solutions catering to societal & national requirements.
- To serve as a forum for exchange of ideas and information to further the cause of the Association.
- To work towards a policy change favoring Free Software in all walks of life.
- To raise adequate funds by way of subscription, donations, etc. to carry out on its own accounts or jointly with individuals or institutions to realize the aforesaid objectives of the Association and such other objectives as amended altered or added to from time to time.
- To do all or any of the above things and all such other things as are incidental or may be thought conducive to the attainment of the above objects or any of them.
To Satisfy these objectives, we engage ourselves in these activities :-
- Conduct workshops, seminars, tours on Free Software for the benefit of the public in general without any discrimination on the basis of caste, religion or gender.
- Establish GNU/Linux Users Groups, Information Exchange Center, Reading Room and Library of books, Digital Library and circulate periodicals and other literature on the field of Software.
- Work on Community Projects which directly has its impact in the current issues and requirements
- Take forward implementation and usage of Free Software in school education, academics and higher education.
- Set up a Technical Team among the members consisting of consultants, senior contractors/engineers to guide and assist the public.
There are many other communities and GLUGs that stands for Free Software, Commons Utilization, Free Culture, Open Hardware and Open Access. These communities come together as a federation which turns out to be the sowing seeds for Free Culture in the future.
We encourage the use of Free Software for Education, Science, Social aspects. The most important support you can give to Free Software is to use Free Software on your own computer and advocate within your business or community for others to adopt it. Join our mailing-list or our Discussion Forum to hear about ways you can get involved and to post your queries and suggestions.
We would always love to expand our activities and welcome new members to our organization to join the mission along with us.
FSFTN has been registered under the Tamil Nadu Societies Registration Act, 1975 (Tamil Nadu Act 27 of 1975) in the year 2014.
Free Software Foundation Tamil Nadu is a part of Free Software Movement of India. The organization is in no way associated with Free Software Foundation or Free Software Foundation of India except sharing common perspectives on the need to spread the use and ideology behind Free Software.